Campaign Finance Reports & Information

For a list of Campaign Finance Reports filed with the Town Clerk's office, click here.

Ballot Question Committees must file a Pre-Election
Campaign Finance Report on or before Monday, October 29, 2018
Elected Officers must file Year-End
Campaign Finance Report on or before Friday, January 18, 2019

Training for Belmont's Boards, Committees and Commissions

On July 17, 2018, members of Belmont's boards, committees and commissions were invited to Open Meeting Law and Campaign Finance Law training. The training was conducted by Town Counsel on the facets of the Open Meeting Law and the Massachusetts Office of Campaign and Political Finance in context of ballot questions.

Update - August 12, 2016: Changes to Campaign Finance Legislation

Recently passed campaign finance legislation will impact many candidates and committees. The legislation, which is goes into effect immediately, comes directly from the special Campaign Finance and Disclosure Task Force that was established in 2014 and then disbanded when it issued its final report in December that year.

The approved legislation addresses several specific issues and is not a sweeping overhaul of the campaign finance law.

If you have questions about the legislation, please call the Office of Campaign and Political Finance (OCPF) at (617) 979-8300.

Campaign Finance Filing and Requirements:

The Campaign Finance Law (M.G.L. Chapter 55) governs the financing of political campaigns in the Commonwealth at the the State, county, district, and municipal levels. Campaign Finance Reports for the Town of Belmont's Town-wide elected officials and Local Ballot Question Committees are filed with the Belmont Town Clerk following the requirements of the Office of Campaign and Political Finance (OCPF). Town Party Committee filings are made directly to the State Office of Campaign and Political Finance.

McCormack State Office Building
1 Ashburton Place, Room 411
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 979-8300

Every year all elected public officials for Town-wide offices must file a financial report of campaign activities by January 20th. In the year a candidate is on the ballot, she/he must file a financial report of campaign activities 8 days prior to the election and again 30 days after the election AS WELL AS by January 20th after the election. These reports must be filed whether or not the candidate spent or received any money.

Getting Started - Information and Forms

To create a Local Campaign Committee, click here.
To create a Local Municipal Ballot Question Campaign Committee, click here.
To create a Local Political Party Committee, click here.

Filing With the Town Clerk

Candidates with a political committee and/or candidates who have received contribution, made expenditures or incurred any liabilities

File CPF M 102 Form


Candidates without political committee and have not received any contributions, made any expenditure or incurred any liabilities

File CPF M 102-0 Form

Forms for Candidates who have already filed and need to amend receipts, expenditures or balances: CPF 102A.

Reports will not be accepted unless they contain the original signature of the candidate and, if applicable, the treasurer.

To find all municipal forms on the OCPF website, click here and then the “municipal forms” tab.

Dissolving a Political Committee

OCPF offers a step-by-step guide to find out how and when to dissolve a political committee here.

Elected Officials and their Candidate Committees:

Elected officials who hold active office may not dissolve their candidate's committees. However, once they leave office, they may dissolve their candidate's committees once all outstanding liabilities have been satisfied and there are no remaining funds in their campaign accounts.

This does not mean that candidates are required to dissolve their committees upon leaving office. A candidate may leave his or her committee open as long as the candidate has not ruled out the option of seeking office in the future, even if the specific office and timetable are not known. The committee must continue to comply with all provisions of the campaign finance law and file regular disclosure reports. Dissolution is only required in those instances where a candidate has decided not to seek elected office in the future or upon the death of a candidate.

Ballot Question Committees

By law, ballot question committees must dissolve after the final determination of the question at the polls. A committee may remain open after an election in certain limited circumstances, such as a question that is defeated in a town election but is promptly re-voted at a subsequent election. Committees should contact OCPF for guidance if they want to remain open.

Below are three resources for public officials and public employees regarding their activities either in support or in opposition to Ballot questions:
  1. Interpretative Bulletin IB-92-02 from the Massachusetts Office of Campaign and Political Finance (OCPF)

  2. Additional topics relating to municipal ballot questions found in the Interpretative Bulletins and publications on the OCPF website:

  3. A four minute video, also provided by OCPF

Settling Committee Debts and Disposing of Residual Funds

In order to dissolve, a committee must have no remaining funds or liabilities. Liabilities, including any unpaid bills or loans from a candidate, must be paid, settled, or otherwise disposed of before dissolution. The payment of any debts will be disclosed as expenditures on the final disclosure report filed by the committee.

Residual Funds may not be converted to the personal use of a candidate or any other individual. Remaining funds may only be disposed of by giving the funds to one or more of the following:

  • The General Fund
  • A charitable or religious organization
  • A scholarship fund
  • The general fund of any city or town

 Those unsure whether a planned expenditure of residual funds complies with the legal standard should contact OCPF.

Filing a Dissolution Report

Dissolution is accomplished by filing a final CPF M 102 campaign finance report detailing the disposition of funds and liabilities and checking the box marked "Dissolution" as well as the appropriate type of report (8 days, 30 days or year end).

The reporting period for this report will begin the day after the last campaign finance report was filed and will end on the date of filing.