Household Hazardous Products Collection
Household Hazardous Products Collection 2020 INFORMATION and SCHEDULE
Minuteman Household Hazardous Products Collection Facility
60 Hartwell Avenue, Lexington, MA
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, changes have been made for collection events, please read below for important updates and requirements.
Pre-registration is now required. To attend the August event - please click the link to register. Pre-Register for the August 15th Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection here! (Then click the green rectangle which reads "Register").
If you do not have access to a computer and need to register, please call 617-756-5289.
2. Collect Household Hazardous Products
• Be efficient. Consolidate and combine with your neighbors to keep costs down and this program in place for future years.
• Please bring at least 10 gallons or 10 pounds of household hazardous waste.
• Please just driver, no passengers if possible.
• Town cost is over $50 per participant whether you have 1 gallon or 10 gallons.
• Only household quantities will be accepted under the household collection program. Latex paint is not accepted. Call the DPW Office for disposal instructions at 617-993-2680
3. Choose a Collection Date (the first event is always busy)
• Saturday, July 18th
• Saturday, August 15th
• SUNDAY, September 20th
• Saturday, October 17th
• Saturday, November 7th
4. Transportation Tips
• NEVER MIX CHEMICALS, store different items in different boxes.
• Tighten caps and lids.
• Leave materials in original containers.
• Pad boxes with newspaper to minimize spills.
• Drive directly to center.
• NEVER SMOKE – STAY AWAY FROM FLAMES.
• Face Coverings or masks must be worn at all times by residents – even when in your own vehicle.
• Containers used for waste collection will not be returned to you.
• Remain in your car at all times, if you exit your vehicle at any point you will be asked to leave the event.
• Waste must be located in the trunk, truck bed, or back/trunk space of an SUV which is able to be opened without you exiting the car or provision of a key for opening. Waste located in other interior areas will not be accepted.
• Vehicle windows are not allowed to be lower than half.
• Social distancing (6 feet away from others) is required at all times.
• All participants will be asked for their name, address and phone number during registration.
Please be patient during this process.
A pilot program for Mattress Recycling will start June 30, 2020
What does this mean for residents? Residents will no longer call Waste Management for a mattress or box spring bulk pick-up. Instead, residents must call the DPW Office, 617-993-2680, before 11:00am Friday for the next available Tuesday pick-up. This list fills up fast and these items are only picked-up every other week. It is similar to the same procedure that is used for appliances, TV’s and computer monitors. Since this is a pilot program there will be no fee for mattresses or box springs at this time.
Why should mattresses be recycled? Almost 95% of the components in mattresses and box springs can be recycled. Recycling mattresses will decrease Belmont’s trash tonnage and reduce our carbon footprint.
What exactly should be recycled and called in to the DPW Office? All size mattresses, including crib, and foam. All size box springs.
What is excluded? Air or water beds, Mattress pads and toppers, pet beds.
2019-2020 Trash & Recycle Calendar: see below as an attachment at bottom of page.
Waste Management will not pick up or will sticker any carts that are not completely closed, carts that contain unacceptable items, or if additional trash is in unofficial carts or bags. The Town of Belmont will not send Waste Management back to empty carts if the street has already been serviced, or once they have been stickered. To prevent a missed pickup, carts must be curbside prior to 7am on your regularly scheduled pickup day. If your trash or recycling was not picked up please notify the DPW office at 617-993-2680 no later than 12pm the next business day. Messages can be left on the DPW voicemail after business hours.
Reminder: Trash & Recycling carts must be curbside prior to 7am on your regularly scheduled pick up day.
Recycle Smart Recyclopedia is below to find if an item is recyclable
Please remember the list is a general list for Massachusetts
Call DPW with any questions 617-993-2680
Below are links on trash and recycle information:
- UPDATE ON TRASH & RECYCLE COLLECTION - see below
- Acceptable items for your Blue Recycle Cart
- Bulk item collection
- Donate Bulky Items
- Recycling Sticker Information
- Waste Oil
- Hazardous Waste Schedule & Information - Belmont Residents have access to eight (8) events annually.
- Rain Barrel Information (Program is through Sustainable Belmont)
- Beyond the Bin, MA DEP Recycling Directory
- Home Composting Information
- Belmont Farmers Market Composter Information
How To Recycle Videos:
Textile Recycling 1
New Trash & Recycling Program Archives: