Members of the U.S. Military or U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) provides the legal basis for absentee voting requirements for U.S. citizens who are active members of the Uniformed Services, the Merchant Marine, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, their family members, and U.S. citizens residing outside the United States.

In order to apply as a UOCAVA voter, you must complete and submit a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) to the Town Clerk’s office in Belmont. If you qualify, filing the form makes you a Specially Qualified Voter entitling you to automatically receive all ballots for one calendar year only. All FPCA forms expire December 31st.

For State Elections, these voters may select to vote electronically, by email or fax, in lieu of a mailed paper ballot. This privilege is only available to overseas voters and military voters. Ballots for Local Elections MUST be sent by paper mail.

Please consider these suggestions as you are completing the Federal Postcard Application as a Specially Qualified Voter (exclusively for members of the Military or U.S. Citizens living abroad). The number below refers to the item number on the application form:

  • 1. Who are you? For the security of your personal information, do NOT write your complete Social Security Number (SSN). Please only write the last four digits of your SSN. "Driver's License or State ID #" is not required in Massachusetts.
  • 2. What is your address in the U.S. State or territory where you are registering to vote and requesting an absentee ballot? If this is your first FPCA submission, please be certain to indicate what year you (or your family) last lived at that address or the relationship you have that qualifies you as a Specially Qualified Voter in Belmont (ex. Parents' last U.S. address) The more information you provide the faster we can complete the necessary research to qualify you as a valid voter. There is space for such details in #6.
  • 4. What is your contact info? An e-mail is not required, however we encourage you to include your contact email address on the form to make communication easier should a clarification be required, otherwise paper mail will be used in all communications.
  • 5. What is your voting preference: If you choose not to declare a party, you will be contacted (either by email or paper mail) prior to each primary to find out what ballot you select to vote. The ballot choice at that time does not affiliate you with a party but merely tells us which ballot you select. If you haven’t notified the Town Clerk of your choice of ballot for a primary, you will not receive a ballot.
  • 6. What additional information must you provide? If desired, you may include a preference to limit your participation to only those elections with federal candidates, only Presidential elections etc. It is not necessary to limit your participation; as a Specially Qualified Voter you will automatically receive all ballots, federal, state and local Belmont, unless you instruct otherwise such as "no local elections."
  • 7. You must sign this statement. By signing the form, you are affirming that the information is correct (to the best of your knowledge), you are over 18 and that you are a U.S. Citizen. Unsigned forms cannot be accepted.

Send the completed form to the Town Clerk by email, fax or U.S. Mail (see below).

Email:[email protected]
U.S Mail:Town Clerk
 Belmont Town Hall
 455 Concord Avenue
 Belmont, MA, USA 02478

Please feel free to contact the Town Clerk's office at 617-993-2600 should you have questions or require additional information.