Elections: Early Voting & Absentee Voting

Early Voting for November 6, 2018 State Election

Early Voting is not the same as Absentee Voting that is permitted in the Massachusetts Constitution. It is essentially "no excuse Absentee Voting". Early Voting, enabled by the Massachusetts Election Reform Laws, took effect in 2016 and will be available for all future biennial State Elections.

Early Voting Schedule

Click here for a schedule of Early Voting in Belmont.

Massachusetts laws do not allow for any ballot be given "to go". All Early Voting and Absentee ballots must be voted in Town Hall or mailed to the voter. Voters should always carry an ID when going to vote in the event that one is required due to inactivity, change of address, etc.

Local Absentee Voting

Massachusetts residents are allowed to vote absentee if they will be absent from the town during normal polling hours, have physical disabilities that prevent them from going to their polling place, and/or cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.

Each ballot must be mailed directly to the voter. When filing for an absentee ballot, please be certain to leave enough time for the ballot to be mailed and returned to the Town Clerk by close of polls on election day and ALWAYS provide a phone number or email address in case there's a question.

Voters may also vote absentee in person at the Town Clerk's office in Town Hall if they cannot appear at the polling location due to the reasons stated above.

Absentee ballots are sent out in the order that they are received by the Town Clerk's office.

Sending Absentee Ballot Requests

To vote absentee, all Absentee Ballot requests must be made in writing. Absentee ballot applications can be used for one election or for an entire calendar year. A new application must be filed for each subsequent calendar year.

There are two methods to apply for absentee voting:

Write a letter to the Town Clerk. Be certain to provide a signature on the document and include the following information:

  • current date
  • voter name
  • voting address
  • date of the election
  • mailing address for the ballot
  • reason you require an absentee ballot.

If you are an unenrolled (independent) voter, requesting a ballot for a state primary election you must indicate the party of the ballot you request.


Complete, sign and submit an Absentee Ballot Application form to the Belmont Town Clerk's office. The form is also available at any Town or City Clerk's Office and public libraries throughout the State.

If you are an unenrolled (independent) voter requesting a ballot for a state primary election you must indicate the party of the ballot you request.

Mail your request to:

Belmont Town Clerk
Town Hall
455 Concord Ave.
Belmont, MA 02478

Please note that fax and email requests are now acceptable. If you are sending a form via an email request, attach a completed & signed Absentee Ballot Request form and send to mpiccione@belmont-ma.gov. For requests via fax, please fax completed forms to (617) 993-2601.


If the voter is unable to submit the form, a family member may apply for the voter using the Absentee Ballot Application and checking off the first box under Special Circumstances.


Overseas Voters and Members of the U.S. Armed Forces Serving Abroad

If you are a member of the U.S. Military serving outside the U.S. or a U.S. Citizen residing outside the U.S. and you would like to vote, you must file a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) form. For more information, follow the link for UOCAVA voters below.

(Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act)

An UOCAVA absentee ballot can be received up to ten (10) business days after the election*, but the envelope must be postmarked on or before the date of the election.


*State and Federal Elections only