Town Meeting Documents & Information
April 24, 2017 Warrant Briefing for Segment A of Town Meeting is now available for on demand viewing on Belmont Media Center's website.
Also, you can watch the Warrant Briefing on channel 8 (Comcast) and channel 28 (Verizon) during the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, April 26th at 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM
- Friday, April 28th at 8:30 PM and 10:00 PM
- Sunday, April 30th at 12:00 PM
Belmont Media Center will be covering Town Meeting live on May 1st and 3rd at 7:00 PM on channels 8 & 28.
Scheduled 2017 Town Meetings:
Please select the Town Meeting for which you want to review the documents.
All Town Meeting Sessions begin at 7pm
Annual Town Meeting:
Belmont's Annual Town Meeting for Section A (non-budget articles) is scheduled for May 1, 2017 at the Belmont High School. Additional dates for Town Meeting are May 3, May 8 and May 10 (as needed).
May 1, 2017 Annual Town Meeting Documents
- Letter from the Board of Selectmen to Town Meeting Members (1 page)
- Warrant Briefing - League of Women Voters Flyer (1 page)
- Moderator's Letter to Town Meeting Members (2 pages)
- Annual Town Meeting Warrant - True Copy (28 pages)
- Annual Town Meeting Motions (4 pages)
- Demolition Delay
- Planning Board Report (2 pages)
- Community Preservation Committee Report (16 pages)
- Article 9 Summary: Allow Selectmen to Consider Waste Metering Approaches to Save Money and Reduce Trash (1 page)
- Article 10 - Resolution: Welcoming Town Designation (1 page)
- Roads to be Reconstructed (1 page)
- Contributory Retirement - COLA Base Increase (2 pages)
Amendments to Town Meeting Motions:
- Substitute Motion - Article 7; Community Preservation Budget & Projects
- Substitute Motion - Article 8; Citizen Petition
May 3, 2017 Special Town Meeting
A Special Town Meeting has been scheduled for May 3, 2017 at the Belmont High School..
More Town Meeting documents will be posted as they become available.
Documents for Previous Town Meetings:
For previous years documents sent to Town Meeting Members, click here.
Belmont Town Meeting Procedures:
Belmont Town Meeting follows the procedures and law in Town Meeting Time: A Handbook of Parliamentary Law by Richard B. Johnson. This book can be obtained by the Massachusetts Moderators' Association, the Belmont Public Library and both retail and online booksellers.
- Click here for the Moderator letter to Town Meeting Members describing changes to Town Meeting in 2015.
- Click here for the Belmont Town Meeting Member Handbook (Revised April 2015).
- Click here for the Belmont Representative Town Meeting Acts of 1926 As Amended.
- Click here for the Belmont Bylaws (For Town Meeting, please refer to Chapter 30). Requires CAPTCHA verification.
- Click here for a Citizen's Guide to Town Meeting
Electronic Voting at Town Meeting
To view the report for Electronic Voting at Town Meeting, click here.
Town Meeting now uses, in addition to voice voting, an Electronic Voting system utilizing a peripheral called a Response Card. The response cards will be handed out to Town Meeting Members before the start of Town Meeting and they must be returned at the end of the night. Town Meeting members will use the Electronic Voting system at the Moderator's discretion.
Reminders for Town Meeting Members:
Instructions on how electronic voting works and how to use the response card can be found here.
Reminders to Town Meeting Members regarding what is required from Town Meeting Members during electronic voting and how electronic voting will be used at Town Meeting can be found here.
To view the list of Town Meeting Members as they appear for Electronic Voting, click here.
Adding Articles to the Town Meeting Warrant:
Articles may be placed on the Annual Town Meeting Warrant by citizen petition or by the Board of Selectmen. A citizen petition must be submitted to the Town Clerk by the time and date of warrant close.
- For the Annual Town Meeting, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 10 registered voters as certified by the Town Clerk.
- For a Special Town Meeting that has already been called by the Board of Selectmen, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 100 registered voters as certified by the Town Clerk.
- To call a new Special Town Meeting by citizen petition, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 200 registered voters as certified by the Town Clerk.
It is always advisable to submit at least 30% more signatures than the requirement.Petitions must include the name, address and signatures of each voter, each sheet containing the exact language of the petition.
A downloadable Citizens' Petition form is avaiable here.
Reminders for Town Meeting Members:
All main motions and proposed amendments involving the expenditure of money must be in writing. All other motions and proposed amendments must also be in writing unless they are so brief and simple as to be easily understood when stated orally.
All substantive amendments and motions to be offered under an article in the Warrant must be submitted to the Town Clerk in writing no later than the close of business on the third (3rd) business day before the commencement of the session at which the Article is considered.
Town Meeting Members should plan to arrive in sufficient time to sign in and take a seat to begin the meeting promptly.
- Applying for Marriage Licenses
- Birth, Death & Marriage Records: Certified Copies
- Business Certificates (DBA), Business Licenses & Entertainment Licenses
- Campaign Finance Reports & Information
- Current Census Information
- Elections: Am I Registered & Where do I Vote?
- Elections: Early Voting & Absentee Voting
- Elections: Election Results
- Elections: Information for Residents & Media
- Elections: Register to Vote Online
- Elections: Running for Elected Office & Campaigning
- General Bylaws
- Get to Know Belmont
- Open Meeting Law & Ethics
- Pet License: Fillable PDF Application
- Pet License: Online Renewal Application
- Raffle Permits & Auctioneer Licenses
- Residency Verification & School Registration
- Street Address Assignment Requests
- Town Meeting Documents & Information
- Town Meeting Members
- Yard Sale Permits