Belmont Human Rights Commission Meeting Minutes March 6, 2008
Present: Connie Williams, Judie Feins, Nan Donald, Laurie Graham, Fran Yuan, Moez Rawji
Absent: Rosalind Kabrhel, Camille Sarrouf, Janet Cudmore-Boswell, Trish Lohmar
Liasons Present: Peter Hoerr, Paul Solomon
The meeting began at 7:15 pm, presided by Laurie Graham
The minutes of Feb 7 were approved.
1. Music Event: Fran presented the preparations and plan for the Concert on March 29. The
event will be broadcast on cable. Fliers were given to the members for circulation. Members,
if available, were requested to assist in the set up at about 5.30 PM.
2. Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing: Judie reported that much still needs to be
done with little time left, and the need for $20K in funding as a problem. This report is
required for continuing the grants of $100K. The possibility of an extension will be
explored, in addition to working with other towns in terms of time and cost.
3. Fair Housing Act Commemoration: Not much progress. Ideas were discussed, e.g. Media
Club at BHS for an Oral History Project. Judy plans to write something towards content e.g.
descriptions, questions, etc.; Connie will contact potential participants.
4. One Book One Belmont: Laurie reported that events were well attended and received. It
was deemed a great success.
5. BHRC Event Sponsorship: The issue of co-sponsoring events that involve a high degree of
world affairs was raised, with the suggestion that BHRC be focused on local Belmont issues.
Clearly some world events have significant human rights issues. However, some of the
objections to co-sponsorship raised were lack of knowledge and information
comprehensiveness, subjectivity, dilution of BHRC effort, opportunity cost, etc. A robust
discussion ensued, and while no decisions were made, there was a general consensus that
future co-sponsorship should not be knee-jerk but taken with more deliberation.
The meeting adjourned at 9.00 PM