Per the 2012 Amendment to the Belmont General By-Laws, the Annual Town Meeting will begin Monday, April 29, 2013 at Belmont High School Auditorium. Additional dates have been reserved to accomplish the business of the Warrant as follows, depending upon the vote of the Town Meeting.
For Annual Town Meeting - continues June 3, (and 5), 2013 at Chenery Middle School Auditorium
For Segment A (Non-Budget Articles)
Segment B (Budget-related Articles)
For Special Town Meeting - May 29, 2013 7 pm Belmont High School Auditorium
All sessions begin at 7 pm
For 2013 Annual Town Meetings
At Belmont High School Auditorium
- Beginning Monday, April 29
- June 3rd & 5th Articles to be taken up AT CHENERY MIDDLE SCHOOL (see below)
- 1, 3-8, 20, 9-12, 21
Articles may be placed on the Annual Town Meeting Warrant by citizen petition or by the Board of Selectmen. A citizen petition must be submitted to the Town Clerk by the time and date of warrant close.
- For the Annual Town Meeting, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 10 registered voters as certified by the Town Clerk.
- For a Special Town Meeting that has already been called by the Board of Selectmen, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 100 registered voters as certfied by the Town Clerk.
- To call a new Special Town Meeting by citizen petition, the petition must contain the signatures of at least 200 registered voters as certified by the Town Clerk
It is always advisable to submit at least 30% more signatures than the requirement.Petitions must include the name, address and signatures of each voter, each sheet containing the exact language of the petition.
Town Meeting Members are reminded :
All main motions and proposed amendments involving the expenditure of money must be in writing. All other motions and proposed amendments must also be in writing unless they are so brief and simple as to be easily understood when stated orally.
All substantive amendments and motions to be offered under an article in the Warrant must be submitted to the Town Clerk in writing not later than the close of business on the third (3rd) business day before the commencment of the session at which the Article is considered.
Town Meeting Members should plan to arrive in sufficient time to sign in and take a seat to begin the meeting promptly.