BOARD OF SELECTMEN, TOWN OF BELMONT, TOWN HALL, BELMONT, MA 02478
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BEER AND WINE RESTAURANT, ALL ALCOHOL RESTAURANT, BEER AND WINE RETAIL STORE AND ALL ALCOHOL RETAIL STORE LICENSES
FORMS REQUIRED BY APPLICANT (Original and one copy of each of the following forms must be filed):
2) Articles of Incorporation (from Massachusetts Secretary of State)
3) Financial Disclosure Form - contained within ABCC Application Form (one form for each party with a financial interest, enclosed)
4) Financing Form - contained within ABCC Application Form
5) Manager Experience Form - contained within ABCC Application Form
6) Criminal Record Form - contained within ABCC Application Form (one form for each manager and each officer, enclosed)
7) Abutters and Occupants Affidavit Form - contained within ABCC Application Form. With return of service receipts OR with Signature Confirmation (computer generated list from Post Office of all receipts.) Required only for new license (List of abutters’ addresses may be obtained from the Town Administrator's Office, Alcoholic Beverages Coordinator.) Occupants of rental properties must also be served with a notice either by hand or mail.
9) Certificate of Insurance (get from insurance agent)
11) Floor Plan of restaurant/retail establishment
12) If the applicant is leasing the premises, a copy of the lease must be included
13) Purchase and sale documents, if a transfer
14) Massachusetts ABCC Filing Fee of $200 (made payable to the either "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" or "Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission")
15) Town of Belmont Application Fee of $500 (made payable to Town of Belmont)
Applications for alcoholic licenses follow a multi-step process. Once an applicant has completed the Commonwealth of Massachusetts application, the Town Alcoholic Beverages Coordinator will review the application for completeness and notify applicant of a hearing date. Once accepted and a hearing is scheduled, it is the applicants responsibility to place a legal notice and notify abutters within time frames set forth by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Second, the Board of Selectmen will hold the public hearing on the license application. Third, if the application is approved by the Board of Selectmen, the application will be forwarded to the state ABCC for approval. Fourth, after approval by the ABCC, the license will be issued by the Board of
Selectmen upon payment of the annual license fee and an updated Certificate of Insurance. The annual license fee for a restaurant or retail beer and wine license is fixed at $2,500, and the annual license fee for an All Alcohol restaurant or retail license shall be $4,000, regardless of the date of issuance, and is issued on a calendar year basis (all licenses expire December 31st). All checks must be cashiers or bank certified.
For additional information about this process, please contact personnel in the Office of the Board of Selectmen, (617) 993-2610.